Most of us probably only know selected lines from this poem by Maya Angelou (RIP)… I couldn’t help say a silent ‘right????!!!!’ to myself at every line. She spoke so much truth! She learned, and so have I..
I’ve learned…… – Maya Angelou (1928 – 2014)♥
- I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.
- I’ve learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights.
- I’ve learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you’ll miss them when they’re gone from your life.
- I’ve learned that making a ‘living’ is not the same thing as ‘making a life.
- I’ve learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance.
- I’ve learned that you shouldn’t go through life with a catcher’s mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back…
- I’ve learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision.
- I’ve learned that even when I have pains, I don’t have to be one.
- I’ve learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back…
- I’ve learned that I still have a lot to learn…
- I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
I decided to number the ‘lessons’ so that I can make reference easily…I thought I could pick out a favourite but there’s no such thing. She didn’t lie at #2…insert laugh. We all know how we handle those…tangled earphones perhaps?
I carried out an experiment one day..along the lines of #9….I randomly high-fived the random people I met along the street that evening…..their reactions were priceless. I saw some of the most genuine smiles from the heart that day. The waitress at the restaurant, I could swear she was going to still be smiling when I saw her next. 🙂
Maya Angelou learned…..may we also learn.